Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Freshly Made Sketches: Chase Your Dreams

It's my second week guesting at Freshly Made Sketches and I can hardly tell you how much I am enjoying it. Obviously, their sketches are fabulous to work with.  What I am in awe of is the design team's camaraderie behind the scenes.  It's a great group!!  If there are any of them you don't follow on your own blog lists - definitely add them - there is so much talent in this group and I am honored to be part of it for August.

Here's this week's sketch:



I am absolutely thrilled with my card - not because it's particularly great or unique - but because I think it's just perfect for the recipient.  Last Friday, I mentioned a friend's request for two cards for young ladies heading off to college.  She had described one young lady as a "princess", and she got the pink and sequined card that I showed you last week.  This card is for the "English major".  I love the quote, and the alphabet background seemed like a great touch.  I made this last week and I hadn't really been thinking about this Freshly Made Sketch - but the lightbulb went on when I thought about arrows to match the idea of the quote.

Chase Your Dreams

Isn't this what makes cardmaking the perfect hobby?  I had a wonderful time crafting - and I was able to make cards tailored for a "princess" and for an "English major"!

This card is all My Favorite Things - except for the ink.  I love MFT - enough said.  But I do want to give a shout-out to the ink.  It is Papertrey Ink's Smokey Shadow and it is a staple in my collection.  It's very dark and, seen on its own, might even appear to be black, so perfect for sentiments.  But if you see it next to black, you can see just a hint of brownish smoke.  So on cards like this with a natural kraft background, it's less in-your-face than a black sentiment.  It's also great for pastel or softer cards.  The sentiment still stands out but it appears less harsh. If you don't have it, it's one thing that I would highly recommend.

Be sure to check out the rest of the cards at Freshly Made Sketches - then I hope you play along!

  • Stamps: My Favorite Things Vertical Greetings, Typewriter Text background
  • Paper: My Favorite Things Lemon Drop, Orange Zest, Blu Raspberry, Kraft
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Smokey Shadow, ColorBox White
  • Accessories: My Favorite Things Peek-a-Boo Chevron die, Tag Builder Blueprints 1 (the tab), Lemon Drop button, Hemptique 10-lb. natural twine

14 comments:

  1. I agree... FMS is a fabulous challenge!
    Love your card today Kim, great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You card is a GREAT take on the sketch and for the recipient, perfect!
    I love when an item or embellie adds a second nod to an idea or stamp on a card. I get giddy when this happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sentiment! And I love the typed background with the arrows of color peeking through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! I love the quote and the sparkly chevrons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect card for an English major, or any major for that matter. I love the chalk-look of the alphabet background, and I love the sparkly chevrons. Great interpretation of the sketch, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What could be a more perfect card for an English major than one filled with words (and letters)! This is so thoughtful and I love that you used these bold colors and added a bit of sparkle to your negative chevron die cuts. A "wow" card for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love it when a card works out this way!! Perfect for the recipient Kim, marvelous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sweet words about our little team - and we didn't even have to pay you :) Love the typewritten background and the chevron die cuts on this fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Kim! This is fabulous! Love those fun colours and that super cool tag! Love the chevron punch outs!!! Such a fun sentiment too! Glad you're enjoying your time with us! We sure love you helping us out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an English major myself (long time teacher of high school English), I can guarantee that the young English major will adore this! The letter background, the 'directional' chevron-arrows, and especially the quote, are wonderful personalized touches that will delight, encourage and inspire her. So pretty and thoughtful...
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is fabulous Kim - I'm totally loving your sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful card Kim, I love the vibrant colours and fabulous sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my fav challenges ... and I haven't played along in months and months! Sigh! Where do the days go? Love your sentiment! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This card is fabulous in every way! So perfect for the english major! The details are amazing and I love the colors that you chose. Gotta say it again... Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!