Monday, May 23, 2016

Taylored Expressions: A Surprise in the Doorway

Taylored Expressions has a fun series of dies - the Door to Door series.  There's the door itself with all if its accessories and the front steps. There's the general decor set with wreaths and pots and topiary, and then there's spring decor and winter decor.  (And since there's a couple of seasons missing - I'm sure there must be more coming!)

Check out the beautiful cards using this series by heading to the TE Gallery and searching on "Door to Door".

Surprisingly, I hadn't played with these dies yet.  I made a brick wall and then I cut a white door - but I wanted it a bit more "cheerful".  Being truly terrible at home design, I googled - and check all of these colorful door for brick houses!


So once I decided on a cheerful yellow door, I got really carried away. What if a party monkey was peeking out!!

KimMAY2016BAS WM

And what if it opened??

KimMAY2016BAS Inside WM

This was all a bit of a stretch for me - it involved "craftiness" and that is not my strong suit - but I am really happy with how it turned out.  Just a few small tips if you want to try it.
  • I did the brick simply by inking the embossing folder with white before embossing.
  • I cut the door out of the brick by using the steps as a guide. Lay the steps down in the corner of the red cardstock, place the door die and cut. (FYI - this card does not open to the inside - it just opens through the brick)
  • The door frame doesn't come with the die set.  I just cut a piece of paper slightly bigger than the door and then die cut the door right out of the middle of it - leaving the frame.
  • I used a light piece of vellum that I cut the same height as the door but about 3/8" wider.  I adhered it to the back of the door leaving the extra sticking out of the left side. Then I adhered that to the back of the brick making a hinge!
That silly party monkey makes me smile!

SUPPLY LIST


7 comments:

  1. Home run with this one! Adorable and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card is really impressive, how creative! Really imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love your "What if's"... and that cute little monkey is adorable hiding in the doorway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute card. I love your creativity in making the door and how it opens on the front. The pictures of doors remind me of colorful doors in Ireland. Great job. Thanks for the helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cheeky little monkey! Super fun! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!